Saturday, March 06, 2010
Spike Being Restored To His Full Glory Very Soon.
Yesterday was quite a difficult day for us, waiting nervously all day for the 16.00 pm appointment with the Orthopaedic vet.
Thinking about all the things that the vet might say was very worrying indeed.
The vet thoroughly investigated Spike; he also took a couple of x-rays and a scan and was very pleased to see that the problem with the spine had been resolved with the months rest.
This was very good news, as an operation would have been very complicated and there was no guarantee that it would be successful.
If it was not successful we would have had to have Spike euthanized, which would have been the worse scenario possible for us.
The vet explained that the problem was that the knee caps were loose and needed stitches to secure them on both knees.
Compared to what might have been this was peanuts, the vet suggested three options for us.
1. Do nothing and see what happens
2. Operate on the knees.
3. Both at once or one after the other with a gap of 2 months in between the operations.
One operation at a time was what was decided, then 6 weeks recuperating and then some weeks of walks and playing for Spike before the second operation
Does not sound like a very pleasant time for poor wee Spike or for us as we have to lock him up for a total of 12 weeks.
At least the operations will restore Spike’s ability to run and play and enjoy himself which is the best possible reason for the operations.
Compared to the other option we feel we have got off lightly, I am looking forward to Spike being restored to his full glory very soon.