Monday, February 21, 2011

"Courage is not the absence of fear-courage is acting in spite of fear.’’

 
Medium.

Valentine Hugo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine_Hugo

When my MS progressed so fast in 2007, I started becoming very handicapped and extremely worried.

The lack of information about what to expect to happen next was thoroughly unsettling.

Not being able to access information either from the medical world nor from the internet, did not help me to cope with this unpredictable disease.

I got very scared and spent a lot of time, valuable time, being upset, worried and crying.

Then I did not think that I was brave, how could I be brave when I was constantly crying and in a panic, no way could I possibly be brave.

I could not bear hearing myself described as brave or courageous, that embarrassed and worried me a lot and I would argue that I was anything but brave.

Then Richie explained to me that being scared and still carrying on was brave, I argued against vehemently.

Until Richie convinced me that I was brave, finally I agreed with him, still feeling awkward and unsure of being thought of as courageous.  

Now I accept that being scared and still trying to make the best of everything and stay optimistic is indeed very brave. 

On Friday I received a quote about courage from KP@Random Thoughts


"Courage is not the absence of fear-courage is acting in spite of fear.
People who do nothing with their lives  are just as scared as people who take major risks.
It's just that  the first group gets scared over tiny things.
Why not get scared over something significant?
Andrew Mathews



                                                                                                                                                                                                                     





4 comments:

Karen said...

You are indeed brave and courageous Herrad.

Judy said...

Yes, you are brave and courageous. I like your quote which I think is consistent with one of my favorite Nelson Mandela quotes: "The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers fear.”

Judy

kmilyun said...

Well I know you are courageous and brave! many less courageous would fold where you just ante up.

:) Jan

Herrad said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks for your kind words, gave me a huge boost reading your comment.

Hi Judy,
Thanks for the Nelson Mandela quote; it sums it up very well.
Being scared and still carrying on is a good definition of being brave.

Hi Jan,
Thanks for your kind words they gave me a big boost.
Good to see.

Thanks to you three dear friends for coming by and leaving your kind, sweet comments.
It was very good to receive your comments.
Keep warm.
Love,
Herrad