Wednesday, January 13, 2010

We Are All Inspirational To Each Other.














I am constantly amazed at life now, what really amazes me is how well I cope with it all, I would never have thought it possible that I could live with something like my primary progressive MS.

Guess I believed what other people told me about myself, actually only my mother, who used to like to tell me that I was useless.

Can see now that what she said was me, was in actual fact her, she used to claim that I was hysterical and totally irrational.

She got me so worried about emotions, so worried that I believed her, it took me ages to realise that for her, emotions were worrying.

No wonder as she had been through one of the worst periods in history, in Germany during her childhood and teenage years.

My poor mother was emotionally very damaged by the Second World War as were so many people.

And like the majority she never had any counselling for the trauma she endured, so no wonder she was a little bit strange.

Have really only recently realised quite how strange she was and the effect it had on my father and I.

Good to know that there was nothing wrong with me and that I can cope with adversity, perhaps life with my parents has helped prepare me for life now as a severely handicapped woman.

Makes sense, life with my parents in England was full of uncertainties, worry, stress, lack of information.

Sounds very like life with a primary progressive MS diagnosis.

I find myself to be optimistic, patient, resilient and dynamic even though I have been in bed since august 2008.

Amazingly I am still me, still have a good sense of humour, will not tolerate bullshit, discrimination or prejudice.

And can even cope with hearing I am inspirational and brave.

Perhaps because now I understand what it means and also because I have lost my embarrassment at being thought of like that.

Now I realise we are all inspirational to each other and we need that in order to survive.




11 comments:

Enjoying the Ride said...

Very well said Herrad. There is so much to be inspired by all around us, if we'll just open our eyes. I'm glad that I found you by opening my eyes. You are inspirational to all of us. I hope you have a good day.

Mitch

Travelogue for the Universe said...

Always a pleasure to stop by your blog. So touching, your story of the journey to see your mother'
s behavior as a product of her pain, not a character flaw. I see much illness in those people born in war or depression or other adversity. As I said to you earlier, Your story is always an inspiration to me, to see the beauty in the least likely things, to emphasize the positive.
Zen to the max.
Love, Mary

Anonymous said...

I agree! We are all inspirations for each other aren't we? :)

soulful sepulcher said...

Hi Herrad,

You certainly are an inspiration, and am glad to know you via the blog world, I'd bring you cake and a visit today if I could!

HUGS

awb said...

Life is amazing, probably more now than ever before.

Andy

Robert Britt said...

I love the pictures you have here. I'm quite interested in inspiration myself.
thanks
Rob
Inspiration Scout
The Get Inspired! Project

Jo said...

Darling Herrad, how right you are!

Your enlightenment on your mother and your ability to see through her own pain and weaknesses has allowed you to then enlighten and educate others on not only MS but also life.

You continue to inspire and amaze me.

And your beautiful pictures depict exactly of what you speak -- life generating life, propelling each specie to carry on....

I also want to let you to know that I've moved: you can now find me at 'The End Of The Rainbow: Life After Bankruptcy'. :)

Peace and serenity to you, my friend! Keep staying strong....

~Jo

Anonymous said...

A deep bow in respect of your writing.

Please have you all a wonderful Thursday.

Taxingwoman said...

Hi! Herrad
Well I find you very inspirational and I always look forward to your blog posts.
My mother grew up in a convent, which totally messed up her head. I think she is afraid to love, so she always figures out ways to alienate.
I did acquire many good traits from my mother though, so I can't get too down on her.

It seems people can never shake off those bad experiences We must be accepting of that. I can tell you are with your mother.

Herrad said...

Hi Mitch,
Thanks for your kind comment.
You are right there is much to inspire and to enjoy around us, we just need to look.

Hi Mary,
Thanks for coming by, it is always a pleasure for me to see your comment.

Hi Rain,
You are right, we are absolutely an inspiration to each other.

Hi Stephany,
Thanks for your very sweet comment.
Shame you can't pop by with cake today, would be good if that could happen.

Hi Andy,
You absolutely right that life is amazing and probably even more so now than before.

Hi Robert,
Thanks for coming by, it is always nice to meet someone new.
Glad you like the pictures and the theme of inspiration.

Hi Jo,
Lovely to see your very moving comment, thanks for taking the time to come by really appreciate it.

Hi Robert,
Back to you too, hope your Thursday was a good day too.

Hi Carole,
Thanks for coming by, very interesting what you said about your mother.
Mine was also educated by nuns, in fact at the same convent she later put me in.
Like you I too have also learned some good things from my mother.

Thanks everyone for coming by my blog and leaving your comments.
Really appreciate your visits and your comment very much.
They make my day.
Hope today has been a good day and you all have a pleasant Friday.
Keep warm.
Love,
Herrad

Amrita said...

A hug for you Herrad