Friday, March 23, 2012

Being Incontinent A Fact Of Life When Seriously Handicapped


 
Roberto Matta

 What a horrid shock, when I realised that I was incontinent, what was particularly horrible was how quickly it happened once I could no longer walk.

That occurred much too quickly once I got my diagnosis on 19th July 2006, suddenly without any warning one morning in October my ability to walk ceased.

It was horrible especially as I had appointments at the Amsterdam Rehabilitation clinic and the mobility bus would be arriving to pick me at any minute.
  
At first I found it to be dreadfully embarrassing, it felt like it made me into another being, which was unsettling, it made me extremely uneasy.   

It totally freaked me out and made me feel somehow less of a woman, and not myself not at all, it was worrying, it made me unsure of myself and who I was.

On the 19th July 2006 it felt like my life was over and since then I have been trying my best to make the best of everything, together with my darling Richie.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Incontinence is one of the nastiest things that has ever happened to me in my life. I am still mobile, but I have Transverse Myelitis (from MS), which is a lesion that stretches across the entire width of my spinal cord. As a result of that lesion, I am often incontinent, bladder and bowel...at home, and while out and about. Needless to say, I don't go out much.

You are no less of a woman or person because you are disabled. These things are not in our control.

The body may be broken, but the soul is intact, and you have a beautiful soul.

Herrad said...

hi karen,
thanks for your comment, you are right it has not changed me as i feared it might,
take care.
love
herrad

Toin said...

Hi,

I am paraplegic so i know all about being incontinent. It used to sadden me but then i learnt how to catheterize intermittently and i'm good. It takes some getting used to but i'm doing great too. It's good to know i'm not alone.

I try not to let it define me. I'm semi-anonymous on my blog but i'm thinking about revealing soon