Monday, October 31, 2011

Looking Forward.


 
Angel Planells.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Planells
 
Today it was dark at 17.20 and now at 18.35 it looks like the middle of the night, tonight Richie says there is sickle moon.

 I wish I could see it too, sadly our only view is of buildings, I did catch a glimpse of a star, Jupiter, over the roof of the Fijnout theatre when I was being hoisted out of my wheelchair.


Its Halloween, I recall it was called All Souls in Trinidad; people visited the graves of their dead then, not knocking on stranger’s doors for sweets.


Here it is a very quiet evening, nobody seems to be out and about, and no one has knocked on our door or rang the doorbell, not one.


I think that Halloween has not caught on here, which is a good thing, as it’s become a huge commercial event, just like Christmas.


Christmas has really only taken off here in the Netherlands since the late1990’s, presents were given traditionally on 5th of December, Sinterklaas, or Sint Nicolaas (Saint Nicolas).


The clock going back yesterday means it is not long now until our 10th wedding anniversary on 19th of December three days before the Winter Solstice.


They are my favourite days, I love how quiet it is, no bird sounds in mid winter, and it feels like being in a beautiful bubble from 19th to 31st of December.

I am looking forward to the delights of December and in the New Year of the return of more daylight hours, as we progress.

6 comments:

Travelogue for the Universe said...

Thanks for the history lesson! Have a great week. mary

Herrad said...

hi mary,
thanks for your visit, i wish we could really meet feel we would have lots to talk about.
have a pleasant day.
love,
herrad

Travelogue for the Universe said...

I agree Herrad! Love, Mary

Herrad said...

hi mary,
if i close my eyes i'm in vermont.
the sun has just come out.
love,herrad

Anonymous said...

You have informed me(well).
I love when that happens.
~Mary

Herrad said...

hi mary,
thanks for visiting, nice to see your comment.
love,
herrad