Friday, April 06, 2012

Tolerance is not acceptance

Peter Purves Smith

Today there have been quite a few articles about racism and discrimination in the English press, which got me thinking.

About the racism, sexism and discrimination I have noticed; and experienced myself here in the Netherlands; things that seem to be unnoticed by many.

Quite surprising I thought given the tolerance this country is so known for, I mentioned this to Richie.

He reminded me that tolerance does not mean acceptance, it’s just tolerating not embracing differences.

 Not welcoming or assimilating them, just tolerating, that explains things I should have known.
  
There are many people here from North Africa, who has been here years, but who are never accepted, or even really tolerated.

That is the elephant in the room that no one wants to notice, that is the racism that is ‘’hidden’’ here in the Netherlands.

No comments: