Thursday, September 17, 2009

It is a grey day, unlike yesterday but who cares when the future has become so bright again.
















Optimism.


Well what a day it has been, the mechanism operating the bed had stopped working reliably, late last night, when I pressed to go down it went up and would not stop.

Very uncomfortable and worrying too, could only use if Richie was there to unplug the plug from the socket.

It had been too late the night, last night to phone the company, Revacore to ask for an engineer to come around.

When I called this morning I was given the third degree, had we pressed the green button on the plug and unplugged it and plugged it in again.

Explained patiently three times that we had done all this and the bed was still stuck and I was lying half slumped in the bed.

After the third set of questions he finally said he would do his best to get someone to call by today, but could not say when.

The engineer came while I was sitting in Summit’s chair and having the vacuum cushion modelled around my body.

He soon spotted that the transformer had burnt out and he would get a new one plus new hand held control.

Glad he came when I was not in the bed, and he could spot the problem straight away.

A weird feeling to be sitting upright, well nearly upright after so long, on 21 august last year I had to stay in bed for a few weeks.

That has become more than a year now, this afternoon was not easy, it was extremely painful, but it has been done now.

THC helped me through the pain.

Even got through Elwyn bit by bit pulling me upright out of my cork screwed position, while adjusting the pressure of the vaccum cushion.

When he had given me the support I needed to sit upright it felt good, sitting now seems like a very real thing.

This mould will be used to make the seat and back rest so I can sit again, Ludwine the ergo therapist was brilliant.

She has already organised that once I sit Ton Peeks, who comes by every two weeks, comes every week to check that the sore does not reopen.

It has been quite an afternoon, had quite alot of pain and let my tears flow freely, everyone responded very supportively.

Michelle, from Arca assured me that the paper work would be sent asap to the City Council for their approval.

As soon as Elwyn gets the go ahead he will make the seat and back rest, then at the next appointment he will attach it to my wheelchair and fine tune it by going through another session, like today.

When he is satisfied that I am sitting well, he will let me use the wheelchair, returning to make any adjustments that maybe needed another twice.

If it is satisfactory it will be covered and will be able to go out as and when I want to.

Today I feel good that I got through the fitting so well and am feeling optimistic now
about getting outside again.

Yippee can’t wait now it is a reality.

It is a grey day, unlike yesterday but who cares when the future has become so bright again.









25 comments:

Have Myelin? said...

How wonderful for you!!! I delight in your joy...and once again the pictures you posted brought me such pleasure....

Taxingwoman said...

Yay! Herrad
Such wonderful news. Things are finally moving along for you.
Hope you have a party once everything is done. Wish I could be there.

Best Wishes
Carole

Herrad said...

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for coming by, it was a good appointment today feel optimistic that it will be done well.

Hi Carole,
Things are really moving along now.
May have a mini party next week Tuesday with Marianne.

Thanks for coming by and leaving me your supportive comments.
Gave me quite a boost.
Love,
Herrad

Travelogue for the Universe said...

Hi Herrad, Such great news and to see you upright is a treat.You have got a great team.I am usually at work but glad I am home to see you sitting.
Love,
Mary

steve said...

That moulding seat looks like it could be giving you a mammogram!

Wonderful news, Herrad! Make sure Richie has some steel-toed boots. You'll be rolling soon.

Herrad said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for coming by, it is a treat to get another comment from you.

Hi Steve,
The chair was good, it was painful being pulled around even if gently.
Can't wait to get rolling out on to the streets.

Thanks both of you for coming by and leaving your comments.
It has been a tiring day for both of us, we are both so pleased that it is done now.
Love,
Herrad

soulful sepulcher said...

Hey Herrad! isn't this amazing! you're well on your way to your goal, the day you go outside there are many people around the world that will be smiling with you!

yay!

Anonymous said...

Finally! The worst part is over right? Wow...I'm so excited for you! Nice to see you sitting Herrad! I hope you and Richie are having a great evening!
xxx

Herrad said...

Hi Stephany,
Thanks for your visit and your lovely comment.
Richie made cauliflower cheese and baked potatoes.

Hi Rain,
It was a good day, shame it was so painful at the time.
We have had a great evening.

Thanks both of you sweethearts coming by, really cheers me up to see your names.
Hope you have a great day tomorrow.
Love,
Herrad

robert said...

Seems as if the light of the far away suns you had as pictures did finally arrive.
Makes one glad to see happyness - thank you for sharing.
A wonderful Friday to you.

soulful sepulcher said...

mmm the dinner sounds yummy! i forgot to say, I love the photos of you! thanks for having them taken today, it's like we are all their with you having the chair fitted, and it's great to see you.

I just added a photo to my blog, I took today of salmon in a creek returning like clockwork to spawn.

hugs

Che koala said...

Yay Herrad. Excellent news and great being able to see the pics.

Take care
cheers muchly

Herrad said...

Hi Robert,
You are right the sun did arrive today.
Hope you have a good Friday too.

Hi Stephany,
Thanks for coming by again, and for being there with me.

Thanks both of you for coming by so good to see your comments.
Have a good Friday.
Love,
Herrad

Herrad said...

Hi Chekoala,
Thanks for coming by and leaving your encouraging comment.
Loved,
Herrad

Vicki said...

It is a grey day here in Texas, too.

Your introductory pictures conveyed the optimism you expressed. There is always hope and look how great you look!

What a good day it is today.

Herrad said...

Hi Vicki,
Lovely to see your comment, hope tomorrow the sun will shine in Texas.
Thanks for coming by, real nice seeing your comment.
Love,
Herrad

Marit C-L said...

Happy Thursday Herrad! I was thinking about you and hoping that the fitting went well. I am really sorry that there was pain...but you sound so happy, so optimistic - and that is GREAT great great news!!!! You look great sitting up - it makes me so happy to see that!

I had the pleasure of seeing the sun just before it set over the ocean today and thought about you. I hope that you have a very happy Friday :)

Libby said...

yippee, herrad! it's wonderful to see you sitting up, although i know it has to be painful at first, all the tugging & pushing, to get the thing to mold to you properly...but you are well on the way, my dear, and we're all right behind you cheering you on!!

Herrad said...

Hi Marit,
The fitting was painful but also so promising, really looking forward to sitting up soon and going outside again.
The sunset you described sounds beautiful thanks for the good thoughts.

Hi Libby,
Thanks for your encouraging words, they give me a boost.
Can hear you all cheering me on.

Thanks both of you for coming round and giving me so much support, really helps me tremendously, feel so encouraged and boosted by it.
Can't begin to tell you how much it matters.
Have a good Friday.
Love,
Herrad

Ana said...

What about Spike?
Do you think you can go out and live the poor baby home?
Shame on you Herrad!
Nell arf... arf... arf... woooooo

Herrad,
I'm so happy!
You've put smile on my face. Don't care about Nell. She is just missing going out because her mother is not taking her.
lol
Love,
Ana

Herrad said...

Hi Ana, woof woof Nell,
Spike and Marleen will be coming with us everywhere, they will love it.
Have a good day, enjoy yhe sunshine with Nell.
Love,
Herrad

Amrita said...

Hi Herrad, go happy to hear your news. Thank you for the email.I have been praying for you daily

You look so good in that chair.
Gives you a good feeling and support.

Glad the bed got fixed too.

Please tell me what is THC

Herrad said...

Hi Amrita,
Thanks for coming by,
yesterday was good gave us both reassurance that the chair will support me well.
THC is vapor from cannabis, it is the best painkiller.
Have a good day.
Love,
Herrad

Anonymous said...

Today I feel good that I got through the fitting so well and am feeling optimistic now
about getting outside again.

Yippee can’t wait now it is a reality.


I'm so very happy to read this( & your note,which I just opened as well).

I cannot wait for the first "outside" picture.~Mary

Herrad said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for coming by sharing my happiness that it is finally happening.
I am really happy about the start that was made yesterday.
Feel optimistic now of getting a well adapted wheelchair, which means that going out is a reality.
Have a good weekend.
Love,
Herrad