Monday, February 15, 2010

Communication is what makes life good and worthwhile.












Yesterday I wrote that I intended to write about how it feels living with my primary progressive MS until I have problems.

Even then I want to keep on writing first with the help of Dragon Naturally Speaking; this is a good voice recognition software.
.
You do have to practice quite a lot so that the software can understand and recognise your voice and build up data which will help in writing.

Once I have problems with my voice I will use the Brain fingers software.

This is software where you wear a headband which they, the software makers say can read your brain waves and translate them into language.

http://www.brainfingers.com/ (USA)

It is brilliant to know that this possibility exists

I am planning to ask for a demonstration of the software, would like to see how it works.

Am very curious how it feels to be able to write your thoughts, think Brain fingers sounds like the way to express yourself fully.

On the Brainfingers website they say this is how it works:
Brainfingers hardware and software allow you to control your computer totally hands-free.

You wear a headband which detects electrical signals from your facial muscles, eye movements, and brainwaves.

The software decodes these signals into virtual fingers or Brainfingers which trigger mouse and keyboard events to control the software.

People with severe and multiple disabilities have success with the Brainfingers system.

Computer access has been achieved by persons with disabilities such as CP, ALS, MD, MS, TBI, and Spinal Cord Injury.

I think it sounds very good, I have just sent a mail to the Dutch company asking them for a demonstration of the software.

http://www.heservis.nl

Hope to be able to keep typing for awhile yet but notice everyday that it is becoming more of a struggle for me.

Moving the mouse is beginning to feel like I am rolling a large boulder up an endless high hill and often I do not get there.

The mouse often falls from my hand and points in the wrong direction and I have to ask Richie to come in here and put it where I can use it again.

The there are times when my right index finger won’t move at all and I can move the mouse but not click on anything.

This horribly frustrating, sitting here in bed with a laptop which is of no use to me at all because my fingers have stopped being fingers and are twitching and gyrating because of mixed up nerve signals.

At the moment hand/finger functions do return, althgough they are pretty rudimentary but very effecative as I am still in contact with the blog world.

Long may that continue, having a voice is so important, realise now that communication is what makes life good and worthwhile.



14 comments:

Enjoying the Ride said...

Glad you are willing to take extraordinary steps to keep communicating. I am anxious to hear how your demonstration goes.

Have a wonderful Monday. It is a holiday here in U.S.- President's Day.

JC said...

I so hope you can continue to express yourself.

I can only imagine what it's like.

You are one of the bravest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

May today bring you some JOY !!!

Dan Digmann said...

Thanks for the well wishes on our blog this morning, Herrad! You have a great week, too!

I have a touch of the flu, so I'm home from work today. I'll be better tomorrow.

I've heard some good things about Dragon Naturally Speaking. Brainfingers sounds interesting, too.

Take care,

Dan

awb said...

Glad there are options available, look forward to hearing from you.

Andy

Herrad said...

Hi Andy,
As soon as I have seen Brainfingers I will let you know what I think of it.
Keep warm.
Love,
Herrad

Display Name said...

I'm so glad that software if available to the public! I still can't really comprehend how it will work, but I can't wait to hear how your demo goes!

Herrad said...

Hi Mitch,
Thanks for coming by, as soon as I have an appointment and get a demonstration of the software I will post about it.
Hope your Monday has been good.

Hi JC,
Thanks for coming by and leaving your sweet comment.
Expressing ourselves is so very important.
We need to tell our stories to each other.

Hi Dan,
Hope you were able to rest and start to get better today.
Thanks for coming by, it has been pleasant meeting you and Jennifer.
Dragon is good, as soon as I manage to get an appointment to see a demonstration of Brainfingers I will post about it.

Hi Rain,
Thanks for coming by, I am very curious too as to precisely how it works.
Hope the company gets back to me fast.

Thanks everyone for coming by and leaving comments.
Good to see you have visited my blog.
Hope you all had a good start to the week.
Have a good Tuesday.
Keep warm.
Love,
Herrad

Anonymous said...

Once a dragon when down into a sea to save a turtle. Guess that such a name reflects very well the strength that has to be behind its users.
Wishing you to continue to be a dragon. A wonderful Tuesday for you two.

Anonymous said...

Hi Herrad: Thank you for all your kind emails and good wishes. It is great that you are able to communicate the way that you do and I pray you can continue for a very long time.

Some people say that having a good attitude dealing with MS is all garbage, but I believe that alot of us MSers get along well because we have a good attitude.

I tried the Dragon software but it didn't work for me because my voice has various levels of loudness depending on how I am doing. It was very frustrating for me when it didn't work on a certain day that my voice was hoarse. Then I'd just get mad and chuck whatever I was going to write about. Not a good idea, I know, but frustration prevailed at the time.

I am curious about Brain Fingers and look forward to your evaluation of it after you see the demo.

Take care,
Love, Anne

Webster said...

Voice Recognition Software. For me, I guess it would mean I'd have to turn off the TV when posting. And Move to where DH's TV didn't interfere, either. (We like different things, so watch different channels.) Then there's the issue of affording it. I guess I should start saving bit by bit now, so when the time comes I'll be ready. But then, are we ever?

Debbie said...

You have such a strong spirit. I can't wait for that Brain Fingers demonstration. How exciting. I'm sorry using the computer is getting so hard but it doesn't sound like it's going to beat you. Keep fighting!

Herrad said...

Hi Robert,
Thanks for your visit and the explanation of the name Dragon.
Thanks also for wishing me the strength of a dragon.

Hi Anne,
hanks for your visit and comment, recognize the frustration with Dragon.
You are right about attitude, it is always very important so we can make the best of things.
Dragon is very sensitive to voice changes.

Hi Webster,
Thanks for your visit and comment.
You are right it works best with no other noise around, I did watch the TV without sound good for sport.

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for your visit, real nice to see your comment.
I certainly intend to keep communicating as long as possible.

Thanks dear friends for coming by and leaving comments.
It is very appreciated.
Have a good Tuesday.
Love,
Herrad

Have Myelin? said...

Technology is incredible isn't it?

Gives new meaning to "I think, therefore I am". =)

Herrad said...

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for your vist and great comment.
Keep warm.
Love,
Herrad