Sunday, December 13, 2009

Change in Routine.











Paul Eugène Henri Gauguin.

Spending time right now making the switch to thinking of me in the wheelchair and not only in bed.

Realised that getting used to sitting once more, meant not just a change in routine but more importantly, a change in my thinking.

Since 21 August last year (2008) we have fine tuned our daily routing, now all that has changed but as with most routines they become habits.

Habits are not easy to change, well not right away.

We need to take the time to change and adapt to the new situation, and to enjoy it.

I need to alternate sitting up in the wheelchair with sitting up in bed, but have to remember that sitting is my big priority now.

Also need to remember that I change my position in the wheelchair regularly, every hour I need to tilt backwards for 10 minutes to take the pressure off.

Gradually day by day how I feel about the new routine is changing; I am starting to no longer see myself as being exclusively in bed.

I am taking it one step at a time and one day at a time, that is the best plan for me, starting to see my world widening will give me the impetus that I need to proceed.

Notice that I am not worried about going out, certainly not now I can see that there is more for me than just this room, nice as it is.

Richie has made the bedroom a very pleasant place to be but I want to move out of here now I and live in the rest of the apartment too.

I have made the best of my situation over the last 14 months, have learned to live in the here and now and enjoy everything that I could.

Looking forward to spring and spending time on the balcony chatting to our neighbours, but right now I am looking forward to spending more time in the front room with my darling Richie.



13 comments:

Blinders Off said...

Herrad,

Spring will be here before you know it :)

I am happy for you.

Judy said...

Herrad,

May you find much happiness in your new world.

Judy

Anonymous said...

VERY well said! Habits are SO hard to break. And routine as well. I get into these routines where I become too comfortable and then my mood suffers, as does my outlook on life. So I have to shake things up once in a while, lol! ;-)
I'm so glad that you're enjoying the transition!

Herrad said...

Hi Debra,
Thanks for coming by and leaving your comment.
You are right spring is here very soon.
Love,
Herrad

Herrad said...

Hi Judy,
Thanks for coming by and leaving your comment.

Hi Rain,
Thanks for your visit, you are right, lit is difficult to change habits so you need to shake it up.
Best way to go.

Thanks both of you for coming by.
Have a good new week.
Love,
Herrad

JC said...

I hope you have grand adventures .. even if they are in your apt or on your deck.

Gareth said...

Hi folks just popping by to thankyou for being you. We so enjoyed our visit and to see ya in the living room was wonderful. Also to realise that although it was a very sad reason for being there, that we take the time to enjoy the momment.
BIG LOVE BOTH @ DOGDOGS
GXXX

Herrad said...

Hi JC,
Thanks for your visit, you are right my adventures can happen anywhere.

Hi Gareth,
Thanks for coming by, good to know you are home safe and well.

Thanks both of you for coming by.
Have a good week
Love,
Herrad.

Ana said...

Herrad,
"Here comes the sun
Here comes the sun
Here comes the sun
And I say: It's all right

Little darling
The smile returns in the faces
Little darling
It seems like years since it's been here..."

:)
Love,
Ana

Webster said...

I, for one, think that you can sit on a cold walk around the block just as well as in the living room. Cover your lap with a blanket and wear a warm coat and you'll be set! Finish up at home with a cup of hot cocoa (or schnapps, or whatever). The FRESH AIR will be good for you!! You'll man the controls as Richie manages the doggies. Does that sound possible, even once, before Spring? Can you tell I am not as patient as you are???

Cranky said...

Lovely read. So happy you're looking at new habits and resetting your perception of self from bed bound to being up and around.

Anonymous said...

You continue to be a great teacher, one can be only glad to know.

Please have a wonderful Tuesday.

Herrad said...

Hi Ana,
Thanks for your visit and sunshine.

Hi Webster,
Thanks for your visit and comment, hope to surprise you soon.
We are progressing with the clothes.

Hi Cranky,
Thanks for your visit, and for your understanding comment.
It is difficult to make the change, but we will.

Thanks for coming by and leaving your supportive comments, they are very appreciated.
Love,
Herrad