Monday, May 25, 2009

,











Started to cry not too long after I woke up and all the pain kicked in again felt quite desperate for abit.

Especially as I was lying on my back which makes me feel even more vulnerable and defenceless.

Richie rescued me with THC and massaged my legs extra long and did extra leg exercises which seemed to ease some of the pain.

No antibiotics today yippee yesterday was the last day so glad that is over they made me feel slightly sick all the time.

After Richie sorted me out with baclofen and food supplement drink and most important of all the laptop he then got busy with a few things.

Number one was plant a sprouting potato in a bucket and who knows we may well get a nice little harvest.

Even if it is only a couple of pounds it will be brilliant to be eating our own potatoes.

Shame we did not get a house with a garden, we nearly had one it was near a neighbourhood we used to live, I lived there from 1981 to 2000.

The flat seemed ideal, two bedrooms and a garden, trouble was I was only number 2.

Number 1 took the flat; she was desperate to get out of the RCA, the Amsterdam Rehabilitation Centre.

So did not care where it was or whether it had a garden.

Real shame for us but really hope she became less negative as well as less stressed and could enjoy her new flat and maybe even the garden if she dares go outside.

Hope she does.

Richie has planted the available space we have very nicely; the balcony at the back has flowers and Black currant and a Loganberry and Thyme and Coriander and Tomatoes, Paprika and hot Peppers. and Potatoes.

Sadly they are not Scotch Bonnet seeds could not find them here, they are the best peppers.

The kitchen windowsill has Coriander, Basil, Strawberries, Rosemary, Thyme plus flowers

Front windows have flowers and Coriander and Basil.

Going to request a pot of Lavender to perfume the balcony the next time Richie goes to the Garden Centre.

So good to have space here for some plants real important that the city be made as green as possible, its good for the bees if there are any flowers around.

If all the roof space were cultivated quite abit of vegetables and fruit could be grown there, Richie estimated that the roof space on our building would keep us all supplied with vegetables.

Something which should be stimulated perhaps Amsterdam City Council should sponsor such an initiative.

It would cut the carbon footstep on food delivery and make the city much greener and be great for the environment.

As well as give a lot of enjoyment to many as well as lovely fresh local produce.

Can we do it?

Yes we can!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Herrad. Hope you had a good day today. I know someone has already passed this award to you... but I so enjoy seeing the photos that you post I thought I had to give it to you too.
Hugs
Nat

Herrad said...

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the award its special coming from you.

Love,

Herrad

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

Herrad, I am so sorry to hear that you had a very rough morning. I hope that your are feeling better as the day goes on. I love the idea of using the rooftops for planting fruits and veggies.

Kelli said...

I love the photo's. Flowers are one of my favorite things. I posted a few pictures today too.
I have had my Baclofen too but my neck is giving me fits.
Hope you have had a good day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Herrad!!!
Oh my gosh, I love potatoes! I've never tried to grow them in a container though, I really hope it works! PEI is potato-land btw! Check out this link PEI Potato Museum, I'll be revisiting the museum when I get there!

Oh btw, R.I.P. sweet basil and parsley buckets, boo hoo. Dang raccoons tramped all over them trying to get at the bird feeder. I still have the cilantro growing though!

Herrad said...

Hi Tara,

Thanks for your comment, I had a better time in the afternoon.

Hope your horrible 4 months are over now.

Hi Kelli,

Thanks for coming by hope your neck got better.

Hi Rain,

A Potato Museum how wonderful!

All you need is a container and a potato that has sprouted all over and put a thin layer of earth on the bottom and then the potato and cover that and everytime it grows keep covering it up underneath the green plant and all the time water well.

You can use old tires and as the plant grows add another tire and more earth can become quite a high stack.

We are hoping for a couple of pounds.

Love,
Herrad

Anonymous said...

I think you picked the right husband, Herrad :-), & he the right wife. ~Mary

Cathy said...

Incredible plants! I gazed for long moments, thanks for sharing the wealth.

Webster said...

I'm curious, Herrad. How much baclofen do you take each day? Some days I'm good with 20 mg. and others I need to keep eating them (like candy) up to 120 mg.! Snd when that doesn't work I just ache. It's brought me to tears a few times, not that that helps! Okay, it helps, but not much.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Love seeing the photos, I hope you can get a garden on the roof. Great idea, great post.
Kim

soulful sepulcher said...

Hi Herrad, the herbs and things sound really nice.

Lille Diane said...

Oh Herrad, now I miss my veggie garden. Your pix are beautiful. Your descriptions make me hungry, and yet feed my soul at the same time. You are good for me. Here's a huge hug for you. (((((((Herrad))))))))

awb said...

Hey Herrad,
I planted potatoes in an old trash can this year, should be a hoot. (never used for trash) I have my idiot garden in 8-18 gallon totes, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, peppers, eggplant, squash, mellons, broccoli, and a lettuce table. I can wait, we had broccoli today!

Andy

cecile said...

by now on my balcony i have not only Bamboo and Lavender, but also Passionflower, Grape, oh yes, and Thyme and one Tuinboon seems to especially doits best! :) and there's of course still the 'Helm' that came blown over the dunes by the stormwinds of january 07 when i was quite sick!
but it's lovely to have plants that grow and flower.
big hug to you both!

Kimberly said...

Herrad,
Hope your day got better! Damn muscle spacity can make life pretty miserable. Sounds like in spite of NOT having an outdoor garden area you have quite the garden! One of the things I miss is playing in the dirt. I have a peony bush in full bloom now, rose buds by the dozens about to bloon and lilies galore waiting to open. I've simply got to get my camera out and take pictures to post. I think I'll make that my task for the weekend. Feel better!

~Erin~ said...

Hi Herrad,
Stop by my blog to pick up your award!
Love,
Erin

Herrad said...

Hi Mary,
Think we did pick well.
Fuunily enough not all our friends thought so.

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment.

Plants make it beautiful.

Hi Webster,

I take 30 mg three times per day.
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain and discomfort.

Hi Stuff Could Be Worse,

Thanks for visiting and commenting a garden on the roof would be brilliant.

Hi Stephany,

Lovely seeing your comment, it is great seeing flowers on the windowsill.

Hi Lille Diane,

Thanks for coming by, you too are good for me.

Hi Andy,

Your vegetables sound brilliant, bet the brocolli tasted great.

Bet you can hardly wait for the other veg.

Love,

Herrad

Herrad said...

Hi Cecile,

Nice to see your comment.
Your balcony sounds lovely.

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for coming by, look forward to seeing your photos.

Hi Erin,

Lovely to see your comment hope things are goung ok for you.

Thanks for the award.

Love,

Herrad

Richie said...

the plants make us both happy and I wish I could expand this pleasure and share it with the whole neighbourhood and turn our city into a productive beautiful garden to feed and nurture the people instead of a big car park! Dream on.
I hate you crying in the morning- I feel so helpless. I cant even sweep you up into my arms without causing spasms- as long as we wake together.
I love you
Richie